Monday, May 19, 2008

The Complete Jane Austen pt. 2

Yes, yes, I am very behind in posting this but just watched the new Sense & Sensibility again last night (a wonderful Mother's Day present) and am looking forward to the bonus disc of Miss Austen Regrets. I thoroughly enjoyed my Austen evenings on PBS (followed with the bonus David Starkey's Monarchy) and missed them as soon as they were done. The short new ones had their drawbacks in time constraints or casting but nonetheless were fun in their own way. The new S&S was really good but Andrew Davies knows how to interpret these to film. Since it was a two parter, much of the rushed feeling of the other adaptations is lost and we get much more nuanced characters. Despite any liberties, I think this was excellently cast and very well directed and produced. I still love Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Hugh Grant and Alan Rickman but this version is a great update and good for a grey Sunday afternoon.

No comments: