Monday, June 1, 2009

MLA 2009 - Opening

The weather was much better this year and my conference began with a breakfast for the Maryland Library Leadership Institute. It was a wonderful way to start the day, Mimosa's, conversation and watching the dolphins swim! I wished more of my MLLI class was there but I did run into several more throughout the two days.



The opening session was captivating, with Paul Holdengraber from NYPL in a discussion with Elizabeth Cromwell and Darell Batson about the successes of the "Live from the NYPL" program. Although, everyone was quite intimidated by the sheer volume of NYPL's program and that we might not be able to even come close, there were lessons that we took away.

Here's my list:
  • Always look for ways to innovate and attract customers
  • Don't be afraid to try
  • Shoot for the moon and you'll at least fall in the stars (a wording from a previous experience but one that I needed to be reminded of)
  • Do the unexpected
  • A successful program is a bit of a chemistry experiment

No comments: