Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Books & the digital world

As I get close to finishing my 23 Things, today I looked at our offerings for downloadable audio books. When I had a long commute, audio books were a staple for me but now that I spend so little time in the car, I just don't get the time although I really like them and their digital counterparts. The Overdrive Digital Media Guided Tour was long but was very informative for a novice. Netlibrary is similar but the Overdrive tour was so good that it made me try it out. It was very easy to sign on, locate some interesting books and download them. I don't have my digital player yet to use these most effectively so I just have to locate a CD-RW and I think I'll be in business. A long car ride should be much more interesting next time for the whole family.

Project Gutenberg was another site to explore but these books were digital copies to read. I like the computer but can't bring myself to read too much on the screen. Spending all day in front of a screen probably contributes to this aversion.

No comments: