Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Maryland Libraries Learning 2.0 - 23 Things DONE!

Well, I've finally made it to the last Thing: my overall thoughts. I have found this program to be both taxing and rewarding. It took at lot of time to finish the discovery exercises for some of the Things although some took more time because they were too much fun. As with all technology (and really anything in life), discovery is only the beginning. If you don't apply your knowledge from time to time you forget - does anyone remember how to do quadrilateral equations? Thus the Things that will stay with me the most are those that I use frequently which I suppose is the greatest challenge out of this program.

Blogging has been lots of fun and I plan on trying to post something at least every month. Now I can expand on more topics and maybe write about the books that I added to LibraryThing. I also think that the downloadable books part will be helpful for assisting and suggesting to customers for home use.

As for where to go from here, I think that we need to continuously review and expand on the Things explored here. To remain relevant in the library world we need to understand the technologies out there and how our customers can use them both in and outside of the library (often very different experiences).

This was a very unique way to continue my learning at my own pace and would love to do something similar again. Having several colleagues participating was a great motivation to keep moving as was my system's incentive and support.

1 comment:

IrmBrown said...

Congrats on completing the 23 Things. You did a really nice job on your blog and I think you have hit the nail on the head ... ya gotta keep using the things for them to stick. Glad to see you plan to keep blogging. Please do share some of your experiences as you touch the others again.