Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Open Source Software

As you will see from the very long post below, I published a document made in Google Docs on my notes from ALA Conference in June. Overall, I think open source software will be the hot new thing that will overtake the proprietary market. I have to say that Google Docs was easy to use although I did miss the auto-edit/correction feature of Word (as annoying as it can be when it does what you don't want) and liked that I could even save it as a pdf.

Open source has so many advantages. I will definitely recommend it to customers with Macs who need to use library PC's. And more and more library systems are embracing the customization and flexibility of open source catalog databases. The software companies need to wake up and find a new niche because no one will want to pay exorbitant prices for software that continuously needs to be updated if they can get current and easy accessible free stuff online. I'd even be willing to say goodbye to auto-edit.

No comments: